11 July 2007

There is a whole community outside of town that is truly hidden from us "city folk". And what a beautiful community it is! My mom, Annie, the kidders, and I went out to Flora today and visited all of the "horse and buggy" shops. (that is the term they use, not a derogative one). They're little markets are really cute and the people that run them are so sweet. The prices were pretty nice too! We got a lot of natural and homemade items but didn't have to pay the premium prices. I got "sorghum" which I have been wanting to try for a while now, but never wanted to pay the price for it. I didn't really even know what it was . . . but I have now learned all about it! This is the nutritional break down :

Potassium 200mg per tablespoon
Protein 300mg per tbsp.
Calcium 30mg per tbsp.
Magnesium 20mg per tbsp

Not to bad for sweetener! It is also high in iron. It is actually the "juice" from the sorghum grain, which is cooked down just like one would do to make maple syrup. It is the "poor man's syrup" which is perfect for us!

I also got an old feed sack to cut up and sew into dish towels. I think it's great, but I did wonder this evening just what my Grandma would say if she knew we had paid. money. for feed sacks to turn into towels when we could buy them at the store. I find it interesting that what we think is fun -- simply because we don't have to do it -- was a chore just a generation ago. (It's like when Annie got an antique coffee pot for a shower gift and Aunt Betty thought it was junk that belonged in the trash!!) We certainly take for granted just how easy life can be with all of the modern conveniences!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We sure did have fun! What a way to spend the day....out in the country, having a great time and saving money, too!
Mama

Anonymous said...

I think about that sometimes too, about how old people (mostly our grandmas) would probably like to give us a stern talking to about how modern is better, the way we pine away for the old-fashioned ways of life. But I guess since we're lucky enough to be able to pick and choose which activities we keep old fashioned, we can think of ourselves as keeping traditions alive instead of stupidly doing more work than is necessary!
P.S. Just in case you wondered, I did offer Christopher some of those crackers Gracie and I were eating on the way home, but he ate one and didn't want any more.

Anonymous said...

Which Aunt Betty, regular or Great? I can't imagine Mom saying that...

And you don't have to go back to Grandma to have someone that doesn't understand sewing vs. buying pre-made...

Not that I would ever chew someone out over it. If you're happy, I'm happy for you.

Sam

Sarah said...

Not your mom, Sam. Great Aunt Betty. But she might have been talking to your mom . . .