06 May 2013

Mother's Shower

Alrighty.  I'm dusting off the old blog, because some experiences just have to be shared.

I know so many mamas of many have encountered many nay-sayers, some close to their hearts, some complete strangers.  I have to admit, I haven't really found this to be true for me.  People certainly share opinions, but I have never been so bombarded that I feel attacked in any way.  It's easy enough to laugh off.

On the flip side, I have also felt extreme support for this path of motherhood I've traveled.  But none more than last weekend when a friend hosted a "Mother's Shower" for myself and two other sweet mamas.  When one thinks of a baby shower, images of new mamas, gifts of giant strollers and playpens, and crazy games come to mind.

This shower had none of that.  It was just so much MORE.  It was truly a blessing to all in attendance, but most especially to the mothers.

For one thing, each of us was expecting either baby #5 or baby #6.  I'm pretty sure none of us needed a giant stroller.  But I know for certain that we all need love, support, and prayer.

Our talented hostess (oh, if I could be so cute and talented!) provided a beautiful spread of delicious food and drinks.  She also provided comfort and hospitality for all to simply visit and enjoy.

The crux of the event was prayer.  She wrote up a beautiful and moving Litany invoke Mary and many Saints to bless the mothers and bless our children.  She invited all in attendance to continue praying for us.  It was really an amazing thing to know that, even after six children, people are rooting for you!

We left the afternoon with flowers, a book of prayers and well wishes from all attendees, and special candles to light when labor started.

Now that Kateri has been born, I can say these candles were an amazing source of strength and support.  All of the woman at the shower that day were given a small candle (and matches!) to light when they were informed that one of us was in labor.  I lit mine and knew my friends were praying for me.  And I even checked Instagram at one point and saw a picture of a friends candle, lit for me, and placed next to a picture of Our Lady!  Chills!  It was beautiful.

6 comments:

Anne said...

Yay!!! I'm so glad you posted!! That shower was beautiful, and I'm so glad I got to be there. Congrats on your lovely baby girl!!

Maryanne said...

I could not have written a better post about the mother's shower. Truly it was a wonderful experience for me on many levels. This is actually the very first pregnancy that I have ever had in which people have not have negative things to say about the size of our family. Maybe the reason for that is because anyone who knows me, knows by now that Justin and I are completely open to however many little lives God is willing to entrust to us here on Earth. Or maybe the reason is because I haven't spread the news around so much this time. :) It was so nice to be able to celebrate this new life with other like-minded women who are just as excited for any new baby, be it Baby #1, #5, #6, or even #10. I feel blessed to have that kind of support, most especially through prayer.

And on a side note, I was extremely happy that my mother in law and sister in law were so happy to come to the shower. I have a very tight relationship with each of them, but there were a few pregnancy's of mine in the past in which they were initially maybe not so thrilled when we announced we were expecting. This time around, when I told them the news, they were very joyful and are anxiously awaiting our little ones arrival. They do not pray, and are not pro-life, but just knowing that their attitude about a new baby in the family has changed even this much means the world to me.

Therese said...

Great post! Thank you for sharing - this is the first time I've of heard of a mother's shower, and it's such a wonderful idea!

Sarah said...

Maryanne - That is fantastic about your mother-in-law and sis-in-law! I am sure that seeing the joy in your family has made a huge impact on them!

Anonymous said...

It truly was a wonderful afternoon. Thank you, Gwen! Maryanne: I am just positive the joyful, prayerful, yummy afternoon made a positive impact on your mother-ilaw. Prayers for your continued healthy pregnancy!

Anonymous said...

PS. Wow, Sarah , I am glad to see you posting again! We all enjoy your posts. But you might want to change the name of your blog.....very misleadingšŸ˜Š